Knitting Chart Maker by Jacquie
- Design Mode - Click here to design by clicking on a symbol and then on the squares where you want that symbol to appear
- One-Click Design Mode - Especially for converting from written instructions. Clicking here highlights the first square. Click on the symbol for that square
and it automatically fills in the highlighted square and moves on to the next one. Moves right to left on odd (right side) rows and left to right on even (wrong side) rows.
Click directly on a square to move the highlight to that square.
- Select Mode - Click here to select areas for cut/copy/paste and mirror operations. Click and drag to select an area. Click and drag within it to move the selection around. Hold down shift and click in new bottom right corner to resize selection
- Presentation Mode - Click here to display just the symbols you have used in your design as a key, ready for a screen shot
- New - Choose a name, a grid size and a ready made background stitch. Will add a new design to your stack. Navigate between designs via the window menu
- Open - Temporary solution - Copy all the text from a presaved design .txt file and paste it in the text area to edit an existing design
- Save - Temporary solution - Copy all the text in the box (Ctrl A, Ctrl C will do it) and paste into a Notepad .txt document
- Delete - Delete the current design Warning - There is no warning! Irreversible! Use with care!
- Tink - undo the last operation - unlimited undo of any added symbol, cut, paste or mirror operation
- Reknit - redo undone operations
- Cut - cut symbols from the selected area and add them to the clipboard. The area will revert to the background pattern
- Copy - copy selected symbols
- Paste - paste clipboard contents. This only works locally both on the current design and other designs you have open.
- Mirror Odd Left - create mirrored symbols to the left of the selection using the left most stitches as the center stitch
- Mirror Even Left - create mirrored symbols to the left of the selection with no center stitch
- Mirror Odd Right - create mirrored symbols to the right of the selection using the right most stitches as the center stitch
- Mirror Even Right - create mirrored symbols to the right of the selection with no center stitch
- Frog - This will clear the whole diagram and can't be undone - Warning: there is currently no warning when you select this
- Show numbers for flat Knitting - Row numbers will alternate from right to left to show which side they begin from
- Show numbers for round Knitting - Row numbers will be displayed on the right
- Show Center Stitch - highlights the center stitch
- Show Repeat Delimiters - displays vertical lines to show where the stitch repeat begins and ends and how many stitches there are. The lines can be adjusted by dragging the triangles at the bottom of each one.
- Show Tally - As you design keeps a tally of how many stitches above or below the basic number there are eg a k2tog subtracts 1 and a YO adds 1
- Highlight every 5th Stitch - A heavier line will be drawn vertically every 5th stitch for easier counting.
- Alternate Row Background Colours - The background colour of alternate rows will be a different colour for easier place keeping.
- Resize Grid - Change the number of rows or stitches. If you make it bigger than your screen though you won't be able to display it all!
- Resize Stitch- Change the size of the stitch (20x20 pixels by default) to fit more in or to show stitches at their true height/width ratio.
- Show Lace Symbols - show or hide the lace symbol chart
- Show Cables Symbols - show or hide the Cable symbol chart
- Designs - choose which design to view. Each new or opened design will be added to this menu
- Create Cable - Create your own cable symbols by specifying how many stitches pass in front or behind how many stitches. You may need to experiment to get the idea of this.
Symbols you create will be saved with the designs that use them so you need to save the design to save the symbols.
- Delete Cable - Delete cables you have created and no longer need.
This has been developed a lot further than the last version but I am sure there are still some idiosynchrocies that need sorting out, not to mention a few new ones!
I would appreciate any feedback both good and bad on usability, bugs, new features you would like to see etc.