Yesterday was my 'blogiversary' - I have actually managed to keep this thing up for a whole year! This is amazing for me. I have never, ever managed to keep any other kind of journal or diary going for more than a week before. So what is it about blogging that has kept my interest, you may ask? There are lots of reasons.
- My friends and family like to know what we are up to. Maybe they don't want to know in such fine detail, but anyway, this way I only have to write it down once, and everyone gets the same story - no more having to remember who I have told what to.
- I can journal my craft activities - mainly knitting, but bit of quilting thrown in here and there.
- I feel like I am part of the world knitting 'underground' and we could be so powerful. If so many can be called to action to join in the Knitting Olympics (not sure how many, but more than there were athletes competing in the other Olympics) just think what else we could do.
- I have met some great new friends both in real life and in cyberspace, and discovered how kind and generous people can be. It has been quite embarrassing at times, I only have to mention how much I miss something and it miraculously appears on my doorstep within a few days. I only hope I truly deserve to have this happen to me, and that I have done all I can to pay it back, or forward to others who deserve it in return.
- I am starting to take a small lead in cyberspace by co-administering Crafty Threads 'n' Yarns , our new message board for crafters of all kinds, and managing our webring. I have also just started Bloggers' Paradise a message board where bloggers can share their knowledge and find answers to their blogging questions because I was seeing that the same questions about blogging were cropping up on the knitting boards I frequent and I thought it would be good to have a dedicated place just for that subject. I am Over the Moon at how well both these ventures are going.
- It keeps me on track with all I have to do. If I write it here that I am going to do something then I feel I am letting my readers down if I don't follow through. Don't worry though, I haven't kept a list of all the things you have all said you are going to do on your blogs, so you won't be letting me down if you don't do everything you've said you will! But I do have to say it is worrying when a fellow blogger goes quiet for a while, so please just pop in to say you are OK once in a while when life gets too hectic to post much.
- I am a bit of a show-off really, and a blog kind of gives me permission to brag a bit about what I have done and who I have met. Here's a secret for you. When I made my ambigram cushions I sent pictures to Scott Kim who is very famous in the ambigram world and he liked them enough to ask me if I would like to have one featured in his Brain Teaser calendar. Of course I said yes, so unless he changes his mind, my Lucy cushion will appear in the 2008 Calendar. We will have to wait a whole year to find out for sure!
I think that is about it. It has been enormous fun and I shall definitely carry on and see what another year holds for me in Blogland.
So enough about me - why do you blog?
Starting tomorrow, Dec 1, the windows on my little advent calendar should start to open. It was such fun to do, so I hope you enjoy it.